What is Terbinafine 250mg?
Terbinafine 250mg (best known as Lamisil tablets) is an antifungal, ie, a treatment against fungi. The active ingredient, terbinafine, kill various types of fungi and yeasts that cause fungal skin infections. Terbinafine 250mg tablets are sold only by prescription.
What is this medicine used for?
Terbinafine 250mg treats different fungal infections of the skin. These tablets are prescribed when antimycotic external use (creams or ointments) are not effective. The active substance terbinafine tablets reaches skin cells and nails through the bloodstream to combat fungal infection from within. Terbinafine applies, among other things, to:
- Mushrooms foot (athlete’s foot): itchy rash, peeling, blistering and / or grains, usually between the toes
- Dermatophytosis (ringworm): circular red spots becoming larger
- Onychomycosis (ringworm of the nails) nail a condition characterized by thick and brittle leave with a yellow or brown discoloration
How to use Terbinafine 250mg?
The tablets can be taken before, during or after meals, with plenty of water. Usually terbinafine it requires prolonged administration, which can range from 4 weeks, in the case of skin infections, to several months, when the infection is in the nails. Continue treatment until the end: if suspended early, infection may return.
The doctor will tell you what is the best dosage for you. Generally, terbinafine treatment in the following doses are used:
- Adults and children over 40 kilos: 1 tablet of Terbinafine 250 mg once a day.
For children weighing less than 40 kilos, adapt the dosage. The doctor will indicate the duration of treatment. No other than the prescribed dose; read the prospectus before starting treatment.
The use of Terbinafine 250mg may cause adverse reactions such as:
- muscle or joint pain
- rash, sometimes itchy. Consult your doctor if the reaction is increasing
- gastrointestinal disturbances (nausea, bloating, diarrhea)
- increased liver enzymes in the blood
- consulte al médico si padece estos síntomas u otros con mucha intensidad. En el prospecto encontrará más información sobre los posibles efectos adversos de la terbinafina
When you should not use this medicine?
Terbinafine 250mg is not a drug for everyone. Do not use if:
- it is hypersensitive to terbinafine or any of the excipients
- suffer from severe liver or kidney disorder
If you have psoriasis, renal failure or liver or other health problems, ask your doctor if you can take terbinafine. Terbinafine interacts with other medications, so you should always indicate what other medication taken when placing your order.
Do not take Terbinafine 250mg during pregnancy or lactation unless recommended by your doctor.
This medicine does not affect driving ability.
Terbinafine 250mg is not incompatible with any food or drink.